Tuesday, March 15, 2011

2011 March Madness - Southwest Region (First Weekend)

The Kansas Jayhawks destroyed many brackets last year with their Second Round flame out against Northern Iowa. I must admit that because of that I am hesitant to pick the Jayhawks to do damage this year. They have been excellent all season, but last year they were the same way. However, maybe the bitter taste from last year can serve to help them get over the hump this year. The Southwest also features what I consider an overrated Notre Dame, an underrated Purdue, and dangerous Louisville.

Best Game: #5 Vanderbilt vs. #12 Richmond

I choose this game by default, since Georgetown's opponent is unknown right now, and the rest of the games look like snooze fests. This seems to be a popular upset pick and with good reason. Vanderbilt closed the season winning three of their last seven games, and two of those wins came against horrible LSU. Both Richmond and Vanderbilt have talented guards. Kevin Anderson of Richmond has been on a tear, while for the Commodores John Jenkins was one of the most exciting SEC players.

Player to Watch: Purdue forward-center JaJuan Johnson

It was thought to be a devastating blow for the Boilermakers when they lost Robbie Hummel prior to the season starting. However, seniors JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore carried the team on their back to a three seed in the NCAA Tournament. Johnson is such a well-rounded player and seems to do almost everything exceptionally. He can score, rebound, pass, block, steal, and hit his free throws. Purdue may be a little too reliant on Johnson and Moore but it's a rare occasion when Johnson disappoints.

Lowest Seed to Make It Through the First Weekend: #7 Texas A&M

I was prepared to go with Louisville but then decided that I needed to pick more of a sleeper than I had in the East and West. I'm not overly impressed with Texas A&M, but it seems almost every Tournament a 2 seed is knocked out in the round of 32. Notre Dame had a very good year but just something about them feels vulnerable to me.

Best Potential Game: #11 VCU vs. #3 Purdue

One of the most controversial selections for the NCAA Tournament was VCU. I had conflicted emotions about their inclusion in the Tournament. As a fan of the CAA and knowing that it is an overlooked and underrated conference, I was happy to see three teams get a bid for the first time. However, I don't think VCU really deserved a bid. They had some impressive wins in November, but really struggled at the end of the season, and lost to some atrocious teams in the CAA. That being said, I think they can do some damage in the Tournament. I think they will knock off USC and I think they got a break facing a Georgetown team that is over seeded. I know Chris Wright is supposed to be back for the Hoyas but I am skeptical that he will just slide right in and cure the Hoyas recent poor play. I think most of this region features boring teams but it would be interesting to see if VCU could do enough to stop Moore and Johnson from carrying the Boilermakers to the Sweet 16.

Predictions First Round:

#11 VCU over #11 USC

Second Round:

#1 Kansas over #16 Boston University

#8 UNLV over #9 Illinois

#12 Richmond over #5 Vanderbilt

#4 Louisville over #13 Morehead State

#11 VCU over #6 Georgetown

#3 Purdue over #14 St. Peter's

#7 Texas A&M over #10 Florida State

#2 Notre Dame over #15 Akron

Third Round:

#1 Kansas over #8 UNLV

#4 Louisville over #12 Richmond

#3 Purdue over #11 VCU

#7 Texas A&M over #2 Notre Dame

No comments: