Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March Madness - Midwest Region

The Midwest region is home to the number one overall seed in the NCAA Tournament, the Louisville Cardinals. Besides Edgar Sosa I can't name one Louisville player off the top of my head, which shows how under the radar the team has been until recently.

Best Game

#6 West Virginia (23-11) vs. #11 Dayton (26-7)

There are a few interesting first round games in the Midwest but I expect this one to be the most entertaining. Dayton is led by their high flying, athletic forward Chris Wright. They also have a dangerous guard in Marcus Johnson. The Mountaineers play good defense but also can score, averaging 72 points a game this year. I like the Mountaineers in this one.

Player to Watch

Wake Forest Guard Jeff Teague

Teague brought himself national attention when he decimated the North Carolina Tar Heels early in the season. Teague averages 19.5 points a game and also git's his teammates their share of chances, averaging 3.5 assists a game. With Teague at his best the Deacons have one of the most dangerous offenses in the country. However, he has to step up his defense in the Tournament or it could be an early exit for the Deacons.

Lowest Seed to Make It Through the Weekend

#6 West Virginia

While I do tend to think the Big East is a tad over hyped I like West Virginia's draw this first weekend. I think they will be able to handle the physical Wright from Dayton, and I really like them in a potential second round game against defending national champions Kansas. Their inside/outside game is strong, with forwards De'Sean Butler and Devan Ebanks being terrors on the glass, and guard Alex Ruoff dishing the ball and making jumpers. In one of my brackets I have #13 Cleveland State getting to the Sweet 16. I see this as a possibility but am doing it more to try to pick upsets people won't likely have.

Best Potential Game

#6 West Virgina vs. #3 Kansas

As I write this it has become clear to me I should have gone with a picture of a West Virginia player. I think the guard battle in this one between Ruoff and the Jayhawks Sherron Collins could be a lot of fun. Both teams are high scoring and I think this game would be an entertaining shootout.

Predictions

First Round

#1 Louisville over #16 Morehead State

#8 Ohio State over #9 Siena

#5 Utah over #12 Arizona

#4 Wake Forest over #13 Cleveland State

#6 West Virginia over #11 Dayton

#3 Kansas over #14 North Dakota State

#10 USC over #7 Boston College

#2 Michigan State over #15 Robert Morris

Second Round

#1 Louisville over #8 Ohio State

#4 Wake Forest over #5 Utah

#6 West Virignia over #3 Kansas

#2 Michigan State over #10 USC

No comments: