Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cram Session - Week 15

It is the final week of the college football regular season and it isn't the Big 12 with the game that everyone is talking about. The Big 12 Championship will be important in determining who plays in the BCS Championship but it is the SEC that takes center stage. #1 Alabama looks to remain undefeated as they take on #4 Florida. Despite being #1 and undefeated Alabama is a 9.5 point underdog. The media and apparently Vegas have fallen in love with the Gators and seem to see this game as a mere speed bump on their path to the national championship. I don't often go out of my way to watch college football like I do the NFL but for this game I will be planted on my couch.

Top 25

SEC Championship: #1 Alabama (12-0, 8-0) vs. #4 Florida (11-1, 7-1)

People love the Gators and with good reason I suppose. They have blown everyone away since that home loss to Ole Miss, but style points don't always mean you are a better team. Just ask Miami from 1993 which was heavily favored against Alabama and lost. Or the Hurricanes team from 2001 that was heavily favored and lost to Ohio State. I just have that sort of feeling about this game. Alabama has been hearing for weeks how the media has anointed Florida the SEC champion. Nick Saban is a fantastic college coach and the Crimson Tide will play their best game of the year and defeat the Gators.

Prediction: Alabama 34, Florida 27

Big 12 Championship: #2 Oklahoma (11-1, 7-1) vs. #20 Missouri (9-3, 5-3)

I would love for an upset to happen here as it should be Texas in this game instead of Oklahoma but the Sooners are on a roll and the Tigers just lost to sorry Kansas. Sooners put up 60 again.

Prediction: Oklahoma 62, Missouri 31

#5 USC (10-1, 7-1) at UCLA (4-7, 3-5)

The big story in this one is how USC coach Pete Carroll wants USC to wear their home red's despite being on the road. Unless the NCAA changes their mind then Carroll will be docked one timeout per half for breaking the rule that a road team must wear white. Shows you how concerned he is with this game.

Prediction: USC 34, UCLA 10

MAC Championship: #12 Ball State (12-0, 8-0) vs. Buffalo (7-5, 5-3)

I think only Jason Whitlock will be watching this one. Buffalo coach Turner Gill is a Nebraska legend and has done a nice job with the Bulls. I would like to see him win this one but you can't always get what you want.

Prediction: Ball State 28, Buffalo 17

#13 Cincinnati (10-2) at Hawaii (7-5)

This is a tough trip for the Big East champion Bearcats to make. I kept picking against them and they kept winning. Have to go with them here.

Prediction: Cincinnati 38, Hawaii 34

ACC Championship: #17 Boston College (9-3, 5-3) vs. #25 Virginia Tech (8-4, 5-3)

When the ACC became a 12 team super conference I don't think they planned on this being the ACC Championship game in Florida for two straight years. Boston College took the regular season game and will avenge their ACC Championship loss to the Hokies from last year, setting up an Orange Bowl meeting with Cincinnati.

Prediction: Boston College 24, Virginia Tech 14

I am still not exactly sure how Cram Session will work once Bowl season starts. I think I will just predict the bowl games on a weekly basis, will let all of my loyal readers know as soon as I know.

Last Week: 10-3 (That's more like it)
Overall: 135-50

No comments: