Monday, November 3, 2008

The Week That Was

Big day tomorrow for our country. Rather than alienate half my readership (do I even have any readers?), I will focus on the sports news from this past week.

In the NFL, the New York Giants did as was expected and chased Dallas Cowboys QB Brad Johnson from the game early and put the beat down on the Cowboys. The Giants definitely look like the best team in the NFC right now, while the Cowboys could go from everyone's Super Bowl favorite to the outside looking in come playoff time. The other big news was the Cincinnati Bengals getting their first win of the season over the pathetic Jacksonville Jaguars. I traded Chad Johnson in one of my fantasy leagues so of course he goes out and scores 2 TDs.

College football wasn't much fun this weekend. Notre Dame continued to be unable to beat a half decent team, 4 OT's and not a single TD. Very upsetting loss and it doesn't get any easier with a trip to Boston College this Saturday. The Nebraska Cornhuskers were once again embarrassed by a highly ranked team. I blinked and they were already down 28-0. Bo Pelini really has his work cut out for him. Outside of my rooting interests, the biggest story was the Texas Longhorns being taken down by the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Despite trailing almost all of the game Texas still had a shot but were unable to secure what should have been an easy interception. Texas Tech has moved up to #2 in the BCS standings, and after this weekend I think they will be #1 as I am liking LSU to upset Alabama.

The NBA season kicked off on Tuesday. The Wizards are 0-2, but I am not panicking yet. They started 0-5 last year and righted the ship. The Lakers are 3-0 and are looking every bit as dominant as people anticipated. I really hope Kobe Bryant doesn't hit a wall at some point though. Played 100 games last year, than went to China for the Olympics and all of the sudden was back to a new NBA season. Derrick Rose has looked impressive for the Bulls and the team is already showing more energy than they showed all of last year.

The Philadelphia Phillies won their first World Series in 28 years as they took down the Tampa Bay Rays in 5 games. One thing I learned from predicting the postseason this year was to not listen to any of the experts. I went with that gut feeling as all of the experts were taking the Rays in the World Series and I decided to go with the Phillies. Now that their championship hunger has been filled maybe Philly fans will go easier on Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. Acutally, not likely.

Due to the NFL starting Thursday games this week the blog will be seeing some scheduling changes. Cram Session will now be posted on Wednesday and The Hail Mary will be posted on Thursday.

2 comments:

kate said...

I am a loyal reader even if we don't agree on much politically. The things that really matter in life, like treating people well and trying to be a good friend, are things we have in common. Those are so much more important than how you or I feel about graduated income tax.

DCUK said...

Um RB going to have a daily entry?