Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Hail Mary - Week 10

Not too many stellar games on the NFL calendar this weekend but we do have the start of Thursday night football, which means NFL action 3 days a week, something I love. I will be in New York this weekend so my football viewing will be slightly limited but I will still have a chance to catch a couple games.

Games That I Will Be Watching

New York Giants (7-1) at Philadelphia (5-3)

A good old fashioned NFC East rivalry is the game of the week. The Giants won't get the benefit of playing against a team starting a lousy QB. Both teams have won three straight and the Eagles need a win here to keep any hopes of winning the division. I think Lincoln Financial will be jacked up for this game but the Giants have proven that road conditions don't faze them. I think the Giants have the Eagles number right now and escape Philly with a win.

Prediction: New York Giants 21, Philadelphia 20

San Francisco (2-6) at Arizona (5-3)

ESPN's fascination with this game continues as I believe for the third straight year it is on Monday Night Football. I am a Niners fan and even I can't understand why ESPN insists on airing this game every year. Mike Singletary is already my favorite coach and I hope the Niners win some games for him so that he is retained. One of those wins won't come here though.

Prediction: Arizona 34, San Francisco 20

Rest of Week 10

Denver (4-4) at Cleveland (3-5)

I will be at the Verizon Center tonight taking in a Capitals game so won't be able to watch much or any of this one. Brady Quinn get's the start for the Browns and I think the porous Broncos defense is the best team for him to begin his career against. Brady will have a good game and the hype machine will begin rolling.

Prediction: Cleveland 28, Denver 24

New Orleans (4-4) at Atlanta (5-3)


Too many factors working against the Saints here. They are banged up, Atlanta is unbeaten at home, and in all NFC South games this year the home team has won.

Prediction: Atlanta 27, New Orleans 17

Tennessee (8-0) at Chicago (5-3)

Kyle Orton or Rex Grossman at QB for the Bears doesn't make a difference, Titans remain unbeaten.

Prediction: Tennessee 21, Chicago 14

Jacksonville (3-5) at Detroit (0-8)

Jacksonville can't possibly lose to another winless team can they? With how lousy their offensive line and running games have been this year I wouldn't put it past them, but I think they squeak it out over unretired QB Daunte Culpepper and the Lions.

Prediction: Jacksonville 24, Detroit 21

Seattle (2-6) at Miami (4-4)

It seemed impossible when the season began but looking at the Dolphins 8 remaining games they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. Can't afford a loss here at home against a sad Seahawks team.

Prediction: Miami 28, Seattle 15

Green Bay (4-4) at Minnesota (4-4)

Huge NFC North rivalry game. My sadness about missing this evaporated when I found out our local Fox station is showing an awful game between the Jets and Rams. This should be a good one, but the Packers squeak out a win.

Prediction: Green Bay 19, Minnesota 16

Buffalo (5-3) at New England (5-3)

I am starting to think that Buffalo Bills = FRAUD.

Prediction: New England 24, Buffalo 19

St. Louis (2-6) at New York Jets (5-3)

I like how after two games everyone was saying give Jim Haslett the Rams job. Is it impossible to let something play out in this day and age?

Prediction: New York Jets 35, St. Louis 22

Baltimore (5-3) at Houston (3-5)

I keep doubting the Ravens and they keep winning, people are doubting they can win back to back on the road, I think their new power running game get's it done.

Prediction: Baltimore 24, Houston 23

Carolina (6-2) at Oakland (2-6)

The Raiders are such a mess that it isn't even worth getting into. I can't imagine being a fan of that team, oh wait I am an Orioles fan, so I guess I can sort of relate.

Prediction: Carolina 34, Oakland 7

Indianpolis (4-4) at Pittsburgh (6-2)

It is still unknown at this time whether QB Ben Roethlisberger will start for the Steelers. Even if Byron Leftwich has to start, he proved capable Monday night against the Redskins and the Steelers bruising defense will harass Colts QB Peyton Manning.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 23, Indianpolis 14

Kansas City (1-7) at San Diego (3-5)

Last year Kansas City shocked San Diego on the road and people thought the Chargers were dead. The Chargers recovered from that game and saved their season. If the Chiefs do it again this year, there will be no recovery for the Chargers.

Prediction: San Diego 33, Kansas City 17

Last Week: 9-5
Overall: 52-31

No comments: