Friday, October 3, 2008

The Hail Mary - Week 5


An ideal NFL Sunday for me is sitting down at 1 PM, firing up my laptop so I can keep up with my fantasy teams and doing nothing but watch football until 11 PM. I had this type of day last Sunday and it was glorious.

This weekend will not afford me the same luxury, some prior commitments have come up and it will not be a lazy Sunday for me. However, where there is a will there is a way. I will still end up watching almost as much football as I would be if I was being a lazy bum at home.

Games That I Will Be Watching

Washington (3-1) at Philadelphia (2-2)

I will be in DC during this game but thankfully I should be at a bar and able to see this one. This game comes down to one player, Eagles RB Brian Westrbook. If Westbrook plays the Eagles win, if he doesn't the Eagles lose. All indications as of now (Friday) are that he will play. He changes the entire dynamic of the Eagles offense. The Redskins are a good team but it's a little too much to ask of them to win back to back road games in the NFC Beast.

Prediction: Philadelphia 24, Washington 21

Pittsburgh (3-1) at Jacksonville (2-2)

I will be at my girlfriend's soccer game during this one but that is where DVR comes in. As long as I avoid the score while at the game, and in the car on the way home I can watch the game when I get back and finish it in about 1 1/2 hours. This is not the team Pittsburgh needs to be facing after just facing a very physical Baltimore team on Monday night. Pittsburgh is too banged up to win on the road against a quality team.

Prediction: Jacksonville 20, Pittsburgh 13

Minnesota (1-3) at New Orleans (2-2)

Minnesota desperately needs a victory. A 1-4 hole may be too much to climb out of. New Orleans can put up points with the best of them but their defense is questionable. Minnesota will be more desperate for a win and will pull this game out on RB Adrian Peterson's shoulders.


Prediction: Minnesota 23, New Orleans 20

The Rest of Week 5

Chicago (2-2) at Detroit (0-3)

The Matt Millen era is over in Detroit which is great and all, but the team he put together will be on the field the rest of this season so the Lions will continue to blow.


Prediction: Chicago 24, Detroit 14

Atlanta (2-2) at Green Bay (2-2)

The big question in this one is whether or not Packers QB Aaron Rodgers will be able to play. I don't think it matters either way, Atlanta is an awful road team.

Prediction: Green Bay 24, Atlanta 12

San Diego (2-2) at Miami (1-2)

There is hope in Miami after the butt whooping they layed on the Patriots. The Chargers will be ready for whatever wacky offense the Dolphins decide to throw at them and earn their third straight win.

Prediction: San Diego 20, Miami 17

Seattle (1-2) at New York Giants (3-0)

I have a hunch that the Seahawks will win this game. I don't know what it is and I could be completely wrong but I think the Giants will come out flat and Seattle will win behind the returning WRs Deion Branch and Bobby Engram.

Prediction: Seattle 24, New York Giants 17

Kansas City (1-3) at Carolina (3-1)

Carolina's schedule has been ridiculously easy the last couple of weeks.


Prediction: Carolina 28, Kansas City 10

Tennessee (4-0) at Baltimore (2-1)

I expect an upset here. These two teams are very similar, barely adequate offenses mixed with exceptional defenses. Baltimore is a tough team to beat at home, they end the Titans unbeatan string.

Prediction: Baltimore 16, Tennessee 10

Indianapolis (1-2) at Houston (0-3)

The Colts have been struggling to generate a rushing game while Houston has played poor defense and also been the victim of a tough early schedule. Peyton Manning wins in desperate situations.

Prediction: Indianpolis 28, Houston 20

Tampa Bay (3-1) at Denver (3-1)

Buccaneers QB Brian Griese returns to where he started his career. If he continues to throw interceptions the end of his Bucs career will match the end of his Broncos career, clipboard carrier.

Prediction: Denver 27, Tampa Bay 24

Cincinnati (0-4) at Dallas (3-1)

Whether Ryan Fitzpatrick or Carson Palmer starts at QB, I think eveyrone can agree the Cowboys will win, the difference will be by how much. I think Palmer will play.


Prediction: Dallas 35, Cincinnati 17

Buffalo (4-0) at Arizona (2-2)

Buffalo had more trouble with the Rams than they should have. Over the years Arizona seems to be the place where teams on the rise go to prove their stripes and win what should be an easy road game but instead they lose. That will be the case here.


Prediction: Arizona 28, Buffalo 21

New England (2-1) at San Francisco (2-2)

As much I want to pick the 49ers to win this one I think the bye week has given Patriots coach Bill Belichick plenty of time to devise a way to counter Mike Martz' offense and beat down a suspect 49ers defense.


Prediction: New England 24, San Francisco 14

Last Week: 8-5

1 comment:

Random Man Fan said...

I think the skins will win. 24-21